What is SFFMA?
Organized in 1876, SFFMA is Texas’s oldest and largest fire association serving the fire and emergency service responders of Texas and beyond. SFFMA has the support of over 1,200 fire departments, 22,000 individual members, 80 industrial fire brigades, EMS and international departments. The association is extremely active in legislative efforts that affect the fire service in Texas, and has been successful in getting legislation passed which greatly affects the Texas emergency service responders.
How does SFFMA work for you?
SFFMA was instrumental in the creation of House Bill 2604, which is a grant funding administered through the Texas Forest Service that distributes 25 million dollars every year to fire departments in need. SFFMA legislative efforts have also resulted in:
- Mandatory LODD Investigation Statute
- Creation and care of the Firefighter Memorial at the state capitol
SFFMA has been expanding exponentially and making valuable ties with agencies that greatly support the fire service of Texas.
- Sponsorship of Texas Fire Training School at Texas A&M University
- Created the Texas Industrial Emergency Services Board
- Partnership with Texas Fire Facilities Fund and Government Capital Corp. to provide tax-exempt financing for stations, equipment and fire apparatus
United we are…
- The fire service’s legislative voice at the state and federal levels
- Nominating authority for various fire service boards and the Texas Commission on Fire Protection
- Approval entity for volunteer firefighter automobile license plates
- Authority for additions to the State Firemen’s Monument at the state capitol
- One of the main certification entities in Texas